Motorcycle Adventure #1

Motorcycle Adventure #1
Ann & Dan in Colorado

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

ok, I can tell you are wondering about that photo with the satellite dish next to the tent. Here's the story: We were riding fast down hwy 278 toward Dillon, Montana because I didn't want to miss the football game. Our daughter, Jensen, was a freshman at USC, and during orientation that summer they had taken the parents aside and indoctrinated us into the "TROJAN FAMILY" (Fight on!) and I wasn't about to miss the first game of the season. (Dan had skipped orientation so had missed the indoctrination. Therefore, he was not really understanding of my devotion to the team.)
We realized we would not make it to town in time. It was getting dark and cold. So we pulled off the road at Bannok State Park and wound our way through some hilly country, (seemingly the middle of no where) and Dan being in the lead spoke into his blue-tooth mike and said, "You're not gonna believe your eyes......" I rounded the corner into the campground and there were trucks and campers and motorcycles and people afoot EVERYWHERE. There were two large campgrounds and every available space was taken. I was dejected and COLD and TIRED! They were just about to close the campground "welcome" station and we asked the fellow, "what the heck is going on here?" He replied that it was the annual meeting of the Masons. (apparently a HUGE Montana chapter!) We asked, "is there anywhere that we can pitch a small tent?" And he kindly replied, "sure.....I'm the camp host and my wife and I would be happy to share our yard!" He even invited me into his fifth-wheeler to watch the game.
You've gotta love Montana hospitality!
If you're ever near Bannok State Park, take the 7 mile detour off of hwy 278! It is well worth it. It was the original capital of the territory in Montana and there is a small ghost town still standing and a very kind campground host.

No comments:

Post a Comment