Motorcycle Adventure #1

Motorcycle Adventure #1
Ann & Dan in Colorado

Saturday, August 21, 2010

day 17: Tail of the Dragon

I love this little motorcycle inn. It is called Chetohala Motorcycle Resort and it is 4.4 miles outside of Tellico Plains, TN. Two guys run the place, Alix and Buck. It is like being home. We raid their refrigerator (we have a tab!), and use their internet, and share beers, and Alix cooked steaks for us last night. They told us of this little store a mile from here where Billie cooks the best breakfasts. It looks like a run-down gas station and general store (well, in fact it is), and inside you will find the kindest, sweetest, Christian folks and three small tables in the back. If you don't finish your omelet Billie gives you hard time (Dan did of course) and when I told her it was the best oatmeal I had ever had she said, "honey, I won't even tell you what I put in there......well, ok, I will....I use a half stick of butter with brown sugar to soften the raisins first!" Breakfast costs about $2.50 a person. She won't raise her prices because "then people can't afford to eat here!" She pointed to her daughters and husband and said, "they won't let me have no money cuz I just give it all away!" In came big Dave, a local mountain guy, who as Billie said "he's special....always has been." He was wearing a pair of overalls and had a new pair in his hands (that Billie had given him for his birthday) and he asked her if she could hem them up a few inches. Of course, she will oblige. What wonderful people we have met. Today they will be at the Murphy, NC flea market selling the t-shirts that they were printing in the store there while we ate breakfast. When we leave here in an hour or so, we will drive through there and I will warn you all, you may be getting a NC t-shirt for Christmas! I have to buy some because I just loved Billie and her family.
We spent yesterday riding "the tail of the dragon." 318 curves in 11 miles. We did it THREE times, it was SO FUN! It was like Skyline Blvd x 1000! I will add a video here, but warn you that nausea may occur from watching this......

No comments:

Post a Comment