Motorcycle Adventure #1

Motorcycle Adventure #1
Ann & Dan in Colorado

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Day 6 Monday


Ok, screw the altitude! I could REALLY live in Driggs, Idaho. Or maybe Victor. (just on the west side of the grand Tetons)
Glenn Beck, you picked the perfect spot for the fourth of July! I'll bet it was glorious!

And by the low morning light the farm land from Rexburg to Driggs was coffee-table-book perfect. I wanted to stop every five miles to take a photo of another silo, or barn.

We took a break in Jackson for lunch and to buy me a squish-able cowboy hat, and since my thermometer said it was 100 degrees, we found a faucet to wet down our Harley "air-conditioning vests." (think big diapers that hold lots of water to cool you as you ride)
HOWEVER, ten minutes outside of Jackson we hit a thunderstorm front and the temperature dropped to under 60 degrees! I was COLD! So I pulled off onto the road to Kelly (just a few miles from Sophie & Derek's house!) and took OFF the vest and put on my coat and THEN the HAIL started! I had been flashing my lights at Dan and honking my horn (our blue tooth communication device has failed!) but he didn't see me pull off so he kept on heading north towards Yellowstone! I texted him and said, "I'M GOING TO SOPHIE'S HOUSE....LETS SPEND THE NIGHT WITH THEM!" I was heading to her house, when my phone rang and I pulled over in the Gros Ventre camp ground and Dan said, "where are you ??? I am up in Moose at the gas station!" I hunkered down in the DOWNPOUR and drove up to Moose, where we got some coffee and waited out the storm. In just 20 minutes the sun was shining again and the Grand was picture perfect (as you can see from the photo)

OK, but NOW we took a turn east to DuBois. There was road construction for miles with gravel and dirt and then......it started to hail and pour again.....while we were on the dirt road! There was a couple in front of us on their two motorcycles (headed for Sturgis) and she began to slip and slide in the mud. We were soaked! I managed to keep the wheels in line just fine, but my motorcycle is FILTHY now!

We found a great place to stay in DuBois. The Longhorn Ranch/Campground. And the video here I put together shows views of our last couple of days on the road mixed in with the local Wyoming artist/musician on the main street, DuBois.

No comments:

Post a Comment